Sunday, September 27, 2009

I'm here by Mistake!

I've been here for about a month now, and I can say its waaaay different than back home. Weather is quite the opposite, the people are differently cultured, schooling system is quite confusing and the lifestyle is just not for me.
I was told that the schooling here is better, but honestly I am not impressed. They say a person has a better future if they've studied here, that could be wrong.
In my classes, i meet a few people and get to tell them that Im from the Philippines and they're usually caught off guard when I mention that. Some say "oh thats cool", some times I get the question "why did you come all the way here?". I answer all their questions with joy, but I also got this question that really made me think hard about a lot of things.. people ask me "do they speak english there?" or.. "how come your english is so good?". As a person who came here for an education, I got quite insulted. Maybe the word Insulted isn't the right one, but can anyone think of a better word?
University is supposed to prepare you for the world, but university here prepares you for here. I was told that a university here would prepare me for international issues/events or whatever, but i was given the wrong information. I learned more about the world back in the Philippines than Im learning here so far. In one class, I am studying the effects of pollution here in Canada... what about the rest of the world? In one class, I am studying the popular culture of Canada... what about the rest of the world? It seems its the Philippines that looks at things from an international standpoint. Oh well..
I find it funny how lots of people come to this country for many different reasons, but the country doesn't know much about the rest of the world? Can someone seriously tell me why this is? I've been put here by mistake, thats all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment